Creating Shopping Bags
Let’s sew some shopping bags using an easy tutorial!
These are not large grocery bags, I made a pattern that uses only one yard of fabric.
It can be carried in the purse and you will not need so many plastic bags.
The bags measure 13″x16.5″ (without handles).
I used nice cotton quilting fabrics,
and the best thing: they are reversible, what you see below is the same bag!
Let’s sew this shopping bag.
You will need:
– one half yard of fabric for the outer bag
– one half yard for the lining.
NOTE: You could use four fat quarters as well.
Pre-wash your fabrics.
1. The pattern
Download the pattern.
It is only half of the pattern. It comes on three pages. Print the pattern twice.
Tape the pages together. Then tape together one half of the pattern with the reverse of the other half.
2. Fold the half-yard pieces in half as shown below, with the right side inside. Align all the edges then press.
3. Trace around all edges using a permanent marker.
10. Sew the other curved edges, but leave an opening. Backstitch where the opening starts and stops.
At this stage clip into the seam allowance on the curved edges (I forgot to take pictures). Be careful not to clip the seam.
Trim one seam allowance close to the stitching.
The bag is ready !
This is a quick and easy project. I sewn six bags in just a few hours. The only time consuming step is ironing the fabric!
If you are not in a hurry, you can make even a more elegant version, with rounded corners.
I made only one. I also sewn a pleat.