White mushrooms recalled in Canada because of Listeria concerns
Carleton Mushroom is recalling sliced white mushrooms prepared for Metro Brands because of possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
This recall was triggered by Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) test results.
The products were distributed in Ontario, Quebec and possibly nationally in Canada. Consumers should not consume the recalled product described below.
|None (prepared for Metro Brands)||Sliced White Mushrooms||227 g||0 59749 86872 3||Best before 2021 OCT 25|
Consumers should check to see if they have the recalled product in their home. Recalled products should be thrown out or returned to the store where they were purchased.
As of the posting of this recall, there have been no reported illnesses associated with the consumption of these products.
About Listeria infections
Food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes may not look or smell spoiled but can still cause serious and sometimes life-threatening infections. Anyone who has consumed any recalled product and developed symptoms of Listeria infection should seek medical treatment and tell their doctors about the possible Listeria exposure. Specific tests are required to diagnose the infections, which can mimic other illnesses.
Also, anyone who has consumed any of the recalled products should monitor themselves for the food poisoning symptoms during the coming weeks because it can take up to 70 days after exposure to Listeria for symptoms of listeriosis to develop.
Symptoms of Listeria infection can include vomiting, nausea, persistent fever, muscle aches, severe headache, and neck stiffness. Specific laboratory tests are required to diagnose Listeria infections, which can mimic other illnesses.
Pregnant women, the elderly, young children, and people such as cancer patients who have weakened immune systems are particularly at risk of serious illnesses, life-threatening infections, and other complications. Although infected pregnant women may experience only mild, flu-like symptoms, their infections can lead to premature delivery, infection of the newborn, or even stillbirth.
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)