Having comprehensive car insurance may seem like an expensive route. But if something should happen to your car that is not covered under the other policies, you will think twice. Plus, it may not even be the most expensive option for you. The cost of your premium will always go off your personal driving and credit history, so check into it and see before throwing the idea out.
Which is something that you should never do. Throwing comprehensive out of your budget could be like throwing cash down the garbage disposal. It simply does not make sense because it covers so many things, which we will get into shortly. First, though, we need to go over the features of having a comprehensive policy and then go from there.
Features Of Comprehensive Car insurance
Every comprehensive car insurance policy will vary regarding some of the details. That is why it is so important to make sure and read the entire contract, from front to back, including any fine print that has been added on. This way, you will not be surprised if something comes up when trying to file a claim. There are some basic things that comprehensive does cover, though, so let’s take a quick look at them before moving on.
- Theft – Your automobile may be broken into, or stolen, at any time throughout the day (and night.) You never know when a wild child will decide to go for a joyride and crash into a house. The damage done to the home and contents will be covered, and any damage to your car. Even if all they do is break a window out to gain access, you are covered.
- Fire – If your vehicle is damaged due to a fire of any kind, including vandalism, you will be covered. A house or garage fire can spread so fast that it damages your car, which most other insurance policies do not cover. Comprehensive does.
- Natural Disasters – Nature can be brutal on your vehicle at times. The scary thing is that you will never know when a storm will roll in that causes damage to your ride. You can always watch the weather and decide from there, but it is common knowledge that predicting the weather is not as accurate as it needs to be.
- Vandalism Or An Act Of Civil Discourse – This may not happen as often as natural disasters, but it does happen. Comprehensive will cover any damage done to your car in these circumstances, while other policies will exclude them.
- Accidents – Accidents that occur can be costly, especially if it is your fault. Comprehensive insurance will cover the cost of repairing your car, their car, and any property damage that may have occurred during the accident.
These are the main features you can expect from any comprehensive automotive insurance policy. Some companies may add more protection, and some may decrease it. Read your contract and ask questions if you are in doubt at all.
Benefits Of Comprehensive Car Coverage
Most of the benefits of having a comprehensive vehicle insurance policy are outlined above. There are circumstances when this type of policy can save you a ton of time and a substantial amount of money. Let’s look a little deeper into these benefits and see if they apply to you.
- Protects Your Vehicle – One of the main reasons that you get comprehensive insurance is to cover the cost of fixing or replacing your car. Of course, your policy will also cover damage done to the other vehicle when you are at fault. If you happen to crash into a house after going off the road, you will be covered.
- Add Ons – We will cover these more in the next section, but you can rest assured that you are covered since you can mold the policy around your specific needs. You will be covered for the extra add-ons you have and the basic coverage that a comprehensive policy gives you.
- Theft Of Car – One thing that may not ever occur to you is the theft of your car. A joyride that ends in a nasty wreck that does severe damage to someone else’s property. A comprehensive insurance policy will cover all the damage, even though you were not even a part of it.
- The Not So Small Things – Comprehensive insurance also covers the small things that may slip your mind but are actually not so small when you think about it. For instance, you will be covered if you lose your keys that have a remote on them and you have no spare. If you are in an accident, your tow may be covered, and the expense of a rental car.
The benefits of having a good comprehensive insurance policy are only limited by the policy’s features and the add-ons you have chosen. It is the best type of policy that you can have because you will be covered for most instances that come up during your long work week if you have it. See for yourself by getting a comprehensive car insurance quote, and check out the policy to see what it can do for you.
Add-Ons To A Comprehensive Insurance Policy
Your insurance carrier may have different ideas on what add-ons they offer and which ones you need. If you are dead set on using them for your policy, you will need to go over what they are offering to add and go from there. Many policies are the same regarding what extras you can have or those already included, which is discussed below.
- No Claim Bonus – This is a crucial add-on worth the little bit of extra money you may have to pay. This guarantees you a discount if you go for an entire year without accidents. Some companies may set the length of time longer or shorter. Still, the point is that if you go accident and claim free, you will have a cheaper premium for the next year (you are paying by the year, aren’t you?)
- Return To Invoice – This is an add-on that will benefit you if you have recently purchased a vehicle. What happens with a basic comprehensive auto insurance policy is that the replacement value will be what the market says it is worth. This add-on will boost the car’s value up to the invoice price. If something serious should happen and you need to file a claim for a replacement car, you will be paid out on the claim for what you paid for the car, not what the market says it is worth.
- Roadside Assistance – This is something that many people never use in their lifetimes. The old saying goes, “It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.” And this is more true than you could ever imagine unless you have been in the position of needing it. You can get the assistance that includes anything from a battery jumpstart to tire replacement to a tow. It is worth its weight in gold if you ever find yourself stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the night.
- Zero Depreciation – You have heard that when you drive a car off the lot, it losses up to 11% of its value. If you purchased a car for one hundred grand, it would lose about 11,000 of its value. That is based on an average amount, so your vehicle may be a little more or a little less, depending on the type of car that you have. This clause will lock the price in before depreciation if you ever need to make a claim on your vehicle.
- Engine Protection – You have either had an engine go out on you or seen someone go through the problem at one time in your life. A standard policy will not cover an engine replacement if an accident is not the cause of the damage. This add-on will keep you protected within the stipulations set in writing. It can mean the difference between having a car you can drive and a vehicle sitting in the backyard with the hood up.
Do not be fooled by the advice you find all around the internet. Add-ons are a necessary part of any comprehensive insurance plan. They need to be catered to you and your specific needs without going overboard. You want to make sure that you add the ones you feel you will need if they are not already included. The opposite also applies. If the company has added something to your policy that you think you do not need, have it removed to save yourself some money.
Comprehensive car insurance can be a blessing if you ever need to file a claim. Accidents happen, and so do thefts and vandalism. It is an unfortunate aspect of life that all people must be able to deal with. Insurance can cost you a decent amount of money, depending on your personal credit and driving history, but it is well worth it. You never know when you will need it, but when you do, make sure that you have a good policy provided by a reputable company that will not fight you on a claim if you need to file one.