Samsung’s Odyssey G9 gaming monitor is an incredible thing to behold in person. It’s on the show floor at CES 2020, and pretty much everyone who sat in front of the 49-inch 1440p display was dazzled.
You’re going to have an impossible challenge trying to find a rig that can push the latest PC games at 240Hz. But if you’re a competitive e-sports player who specializes in older titles, this display could be a dream. Those not running it at 240Hz can still take advantage of its sharp resolution and that immersive 1000R curvature that pretty much envelops your whole field of vision.
The back is very sci-fi, with a clear cutout in the center that reveals a round LED that shifts colors. It looks like Iron Man’s arc reactor. Does anyone need that in a monitor? Nope. Does it look cool, especially for the crowd the G9 is marketed toward? Oh, most definitely.
Listening to the crowd of onlookers here in Las Vegas, I heard some confess that the Odyssey G9 is too much monitor for them and that they’d have a hard time following along with everything happening on-screen in Fortnite. To me, there’s really no such thing as too much monitor. Give me two of these things side by side. Surround me with like five or six of them, even.
With a 1ms response time and support for both AMD FreeSync 2 and Nvidia’s G-Sync, the G9 is likely to come with a very hefty price tag when it ships later this year. It’s easy to quibble over whether it’s worth the cost compared to other ultrawide or 1440p monitors on the market.
- 49″ 1000R curved Dual QHD (DQHD) LCD monitor with jaw-dropping 5120 x 1440 resolution (as wide as two QHD monitors side by side) and 32:9 aspect ratio lets you play your favourite games and multi-task on a grand scale with stunning details
- 1ms response time, 2ms input lag, and 240Hz RapidCurve refresh rate give you super-smooth motion without ghosting, tearing, or broken frames (note: upgrade to the latest version of your graphics driver to enable 240Hz at 5120 x 1440 resolution)
- 420 cd/m2 brightness and 2500:1 contrast ratio deliver clear and well-lit visuals
- QLED offers bright and lifelike shades and hues for rich video output
- HDR1000 enables bold contrast by brightening the highlights and darkening the shadows for incredible depth
- HDR10+ Imagery offers the perfect balance between brightness and contrast for realistic results
- G-Sync compatibility synchronises the GPU and panel to prevent screen lag and tear for a seamless gameplay experience
- Infinity Core Lighting Design with 5 different modes lets you add a personalised touch
- Two DisplayPort, one HDMI, and two USB 3.0 ports enable reliable and high-speed connectivity with other peripherals and media devices
- Easy Setting Box SW splits the screen so you can place windows anywhere
- Swivel, height, and tilt adjustability let you change the viewing angle based on your convenience
- Fully compatible with VESA-standard monitor arms (mounts/arms sold separately)