The Evolution of Teamwork (with Atlassian CEO Scott Farquhar)
Atlassian, the enterprise software innovator, is helping to drive disruption across the world of work. Co-founder and co-CEO, Scott Farquhar, joins Azeem Azhar to explain how, during a global pandemic, they nearly doubled the size of their workforce, why the workplace will never be the same after Covid-19, and what the implications are for companies and employees who increasingly operate remotely, asynchronously, and in flatter hierarchies.
They also discuss:
- Why Farquhar believes that most companies are becoming like software companies, where the CEO and CIO are in strategic lock-step and ready to disrupt their business before they are disrupted by competitors.
- Why companies are shifting their team structures from being project-based to product-based.
- Why Farquhar believes his approach to company-building is akin to gardening.
- “Empowering Workers in the Digital Future” (Exponential View podcast, 2020)
- “WFH Doesn’t Have to Dilute Your Corporate Culture” (Harvard Business Review, 2021)
- “Picking the Right Approach to Digital Collaboration” (MIT Sloan, 2021)
HBR Presents is a network of podcasts curated by HBR editors, bringing you the best business ideas from the leading minds in management. The views and opinions expressed are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Harvard Business Review or its affiliates.