Date published: Tuesday 16th November 2021 7:54 – Ian Watson
Barcelona are said to be ‘working silently’ on bringing Mo Salah to the Nou Camp next summer. They want the Liverpool star and a Chelsea defender…
BARCELONA PLOTTING SALAH DEAL
Barcelona seem to have been the hottest topic in the Gossip recently. Each day brings links with new stars – yesterday they were going for three Chelsea players and, of course, Raheem Sterling – despite everyone knowing they have barely a pot to p*ss in.
So Tuesday’s Barca target du jour is unlikely to worry too many at Anfield just yet. But the Catalans are, apparently, ‘working in silence’ to sign Mo Salah next year.
Salah is out of contract in 2023 so next summer will be huge for the Egyptian and Liverpool if the two parties haven’t reached a renewal agreement by then.
El Nacional reckons Xavi wants Salah ‘at all costs’, which would likely involve a salary of around £350,000 a week. The story suggests that the arrival of the new coach ‘opens the door for Barca’ which may well be true if he’s suddenly started sh*ting euros.
Barca’s financial meltdown has been well documented, as has the fact they have only around £8.6million to spend in January on the dozens of players they have been linked with. Perhaps investment is forthcoming and they will be on a firmer footing next summer. Even if they aren’t, Joan Laporta is liable to do something daft if fortunes on the field haven’t improved and his presidency is getting pelters. And the Nou Camp still retains its appeal but, as the story admits, Liverpool have ‘a lot more money and a stable project’.
San Marino 0-10 (TEN) England: Rating the players
BARCA EYE CHELSEA SKIPPER
On top of the three Chelsea attackers they were looking at yesterday, Barca are also eyeing a Blues defender.
Links with Cesar Azpilicueta are perhaps more credible than anything we read about the Catalans chasing Timo Werner, Christian Pulisic and Callum Hudson-Odoi. Azpilicueta will be a free agent at the end of the season and Chelsea have replacement right-backs ready to go.
ESPN says Xavi rates the Spain international’s versatility and his experience would be crucial in a youthful defence.
JUVE NOT KEEN ON PEPE SWAP
Arsenal are again being linked with Dejan Kulusevski…
The Juventus attacker was mentioned as a target for Mikel Arteta last week, with Juve willing to sell the Sweden international.
Calciomercato reckons a swap deal involving Nicolas Pepe has been suggested, but Juventus would prefer to trade in cash.
TOON IN FOR TCHOUAMENI
Aurelin Tchouameni looks set to be one of the most in-demand stars of 2022, with half of Europe chasing the Monaco midfielder.
Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid, PSG and Bayern Munich are all credited with an interest in the 21-year-old.
El Nacional has chucked Newcastle’s name in the hat. Apparently, the Magpies have ‘entered the scene’ and the £43million-rated France international could be tempted to St James’ Park by the promise of a first-team place. Though he might find playing in the Championship rather less appealing.